Saturday, January 11, 2014

What Exactly Fits in an 85L Bag?

I was really hoping to have this blog started before I left for Rome.  Due to horrendous weather, flight cancellations and jet lag, I am finally starting my travel blog...


Anyone who knows me, knows that I try to think things through to the tinniest detail (including the multiple multiple edits of this post).  Over the course of the next eightish months, I expect this to change.  Every person I've talked to has said that traveling will change my life, they haven't really explained what that means but I imagine it will be far greater than anything I can imagine.  While I am not using this trip to redefine who I am, I know that this time away from my family, friends and my routine will fundamentally change who I am, how I behave and how I see the world.

To start my travel, I have decided to try and pack all of my belongings into more or less a single bag.  Packing necessities to live and supplies for school has not been easy, especially for a fashion enthusiast.  This post is meant to A) Provide documentation of everything that can fit into a travel bag, information that was hard to come by when researching travel bags  B) Ensure I have everything I need for my trip and C) Help me realize how little I need to carry in order to travel across two continents, each with vastly different climates.

While I know I am taking more belongings than the average backpacker, the first step is usually the toughest, leaving me plenty of room for improvement.  The following documentation of my travel belongings was inspired by Colin Wright, my cousin, over at Exile Lifestyle.


   















    

01 - 13 pairs of socks
02 - 14 pairs of unerwear
03 - 7 pairs of pants
04 - Hair and nail grooming kit
05 - two pairs of shorts
06 - Crew hair product
07 - Rain jacket
08 - Water colors
09 - Plaid shirt
10 - Denim shirt
11 - Striped shirt
12 - Polka dot shirt
13 - V-neck sweater
14 - White shirt
15 - Fleece sweater
16 - Mock-neck sweater
17 - Reversible belt
18 - Toiletries
19 - 15" Macbook Pro
20 - External hard drive
21 - Additional drawing supplies
22 - Sunglasses
23 - Sketchbook, travel notebook, and Italian-English dictionary
24 - Swiss army knife
25 - Travel Adaptor
26 - Emergency sewing kit
27 - Umbrella
28 - Gorilapod tripod
29 - Nikon D5100 and assorted camera gear
30 - Fossil watch

After uploading all of these images, I am quite surprised at how little I brought.  While I did not include objects like chargers, or what I was wearing, I think this first blog post helps me realize how little I really need to go about my day to day life.  With all the excess "stuff" that is in the world, it feels good to have so little.

No comments:

Post a Comment